Smalls is hosted by the lovely Heather on her blog, click here for the rules: http://stitchinglotus.ca/2017-sal/
WIPocalypse is hosted by Mel at her blog http://measi.net/measiblog/
And another month draws to a close and I got some stitching in! Mind you, it was a bit of a race for the last portions of beading on Mermaids but – I got a finish!!! My goal for the month was to finish all the stitching, but I could see the finish line and off I went.
- FFO the How to Train Your Dragon pieces for the swap & post (bookmark, needle book and small hoop). COMPLETED – but I kept the small hoop
- Finish all the stitching on MOTDB and get to the beading potion. SMASHED
- Start Julie’s RR piece (as that has arrived to me super early). NOT STARTED
- Plan what I will do for the #disneycraftswap (waiting for my partner to post her mosaic still). PLANS COMPLETE, STITCHING STARTED
- 15th – Diamonds. Beading the clear beads on MOTDB. IGNORED
- 22nd – Earth Day. Start the Mill Hill Seagull kit. COMPLETED
I also worked on a small Easter piece, the freebie Prairie Schooler chart that Kristine sent me. I chose black aida (stash!) and initially stitched it in similar colours to the original…I plan to repeat with different colours to make a basket of mini eggs.
So here’s my pieces for this month:
Question of the Month – What projects are in your UFO pile? There’s not too much in my UFO pile, to be honest. Just the one piece that I have kept the pattern & half-completed project away. I am tempted to re-start it on evenweave as it is on aida & I had become a bit of a snob but maybe I should just pull it out. If I can’t get the threads to match it might be worth a restart…apart from this, I do have Tapestry Cat at 11 years of age but as I am still working on this, I don’t think I can call it a true UFO. Just a resting WIP. And I have a few of those!
- Tapestry Cat, Dec 2006
- Toy Story Birth Sampler, Oct 2013
- Nora Corbett Arezzo, March 2014
- Mirabilia Persephone, May 2015
- Nora Corbett Reindeer, July 2015
- Mirabilia Raven Queen, Jan 2016
- Tamara blackwork, September 2016
- Lavender & Lace Celtic Winter, Dec 2016
My May goals are fairly small. I’m not going to participate in StitchMAYnia, but there are some new starts:
- Disney hoop & needlebook for new swap
- Start Julie’s round robin (if I get a finish, I will start Andromeda!)
- Finish Mill Hill Believe (about ½ done)
Lastly, I’m still in the black for Stitch From Stash. This is more good luck than management but I’ll take the win.
|Andromeda @ CountryStitch
|Kreinik @ RR
|HTTYD hoop FFO
|PS Easter Folk Egg
|Mermaids of the Deep Blue
|Total Available Budget
Oh, thank goodness it’s Friday. This week has been full-on, with the middle three days devoted to the work conference. I am pleased to report that I didn’t embarrass myself (or my boss) and didn’t call anyone by the wrong name. Not even once. Admittedly this was helped by being in a group with one other with the same name, 3 other support office people, someone I clicked with right away, and another I thought was OK and not a plonker.
And speaking of the plonk, it was pretty low on the scale, so that was only the half glass with dinner. Just enough to pretend that I am an adult.
And my team won the challenge. We rock.
Stitching-wise, nothing but FFO so far. So at least I ticked off some monthly goal between WIPocalypse updates. Toothless in all the variations is going off to Europe in the post today. Hope my partner enjoys!
Zac was involved in the term art exhibition at Waitakere yesterday. It’s cool to see where his talents are evolving to. This is my super sporty, super geeky kid who is exploring his boundaries and taking every opportunity. Love that.
Have a good weekend, everyone! Don’t forget to get some exercise in! (that’s me in the blue – lots and lots of bear crawls make for a really solid sleep!)
I feel like a bit of a fraud really. Checking in, when I’ve only touched stitching 15 actual days in March? And not actually finished anything? However – I am still in the black for Stitch From Stash!
|Clouds Factory HTTYD
|DMC @ Geoff’s
|DMC @ Spotlight
|Total Available Budget
This month my intended focus points were:
- Back stitch & fill in the gaps on the top row of Tapestry Cat – maybe 2/3 done?
- Stitch pieces for the #dreamworkscraftswap2017 on Instagram – again, maybe 2/3 done.
Ugh. I have not stitched on anything from a magazine (sorry Heather) nor any of the colour SALs that I made intentions to participate in. I did get out to a stitching meet-up on one night (and had a blast, AND they invited me back J) and I think my bug just got up and left. I have gone to bootcamp & been so ill I was on antibiotics for a week and right now, lack enthusiasm big-time. To get myself back on the horse (so to speak) I’ve set goals a la Rahenna for April:
- FFO the How To Train Your Dragon pieces for the swap & post (bookmark, needle book and small hoop).
- Finish all the stitching on MOTDB and get to the beading potion.
- Start Julie’s RR piece (as that has arrived to me super early).
- Plan what I will do for the #disneycraftswap (waiting for my partner to post her mosaic still).
Stitch MAYnia SALs that I intend to participate in are
- 15th – Diamonds. Beading the clear beads on MOTDB.
- 22nd – Earth Day. Start the Mill Hill Seagull kit.
Question of the month: What stitchy blogs, groups, or flosstubes do you follow and why?
All the blogs I follow can be found in the sidebar. I have to say that the majority of bloggers are migrating, which is a bit of a shame, but I’m guilty here too. Instagram is my stich p*rn; there are so many that I follow over there that I am thinking that I need to cut it back, so that my feed does show who I want to see.
Groups – well, I’m now in a physical group but on FB I’m part of Stitch MAYnia; Mira Mira on the Wall; Mirabilia Nora Corbett Conversions; Upcycle Cross Stitch NZ (admin here); Round Robin Stitchers (& a couple of private groups from that); Stitch From Stash 2017a; Countrystitch Fabrics and a couple of others.
Flosstube – Oh dear, Now we get into the rabbit hole! I stitch and watch around a couple of hours a week normally & prefer to watch/listen to flosstube rather than TV right now. In no particular order I recommend (non-exhaustive list!!)
- Stitching Donna
- CoffeeStitcher (Garrett is one of the Stitch MAYnia admins)
- The Crafty Curator
- The Simple Stitcher
- Ms OhSewCrafty (Stephanie is the admin for Stitch From Stash 2017a)
- The Queen of Starts
- Emily C (the BEST vids)
- Aussie Stitcher
- Ginger Gerald Stitcher
- A Stitch Too Far (love her)
- KiwiFlowa (fellow Westie, TW and Nora fan & has adorable cats!)
- The Stash Queen (Katy is the other Stitch MAYnia admin & has a totally ridiculous WIP number, and is unashamed of that. I admire that even as I can’t get above 12!)
Sorry that I haven’t linked to any of these – but if you look in my follow list you can also subscribe to those channels and more – and mine too! Look for “Paula SewScrapMuse” – I possibly hold the record for shortest flosstube ever!
The WIPocalypse SAL is hosted by Measi; 12 check ins with a monthly question and lots of WIPS. Click on the button on the right; it will take you over to her blog and all of the links. We’re also on Facebook this year!
The January question is: what SALs are you participating in?
I think I mostly answered this in my January first post, but things have changed. I’m not going to worry too much about The Never Ending Band Sampler; given that I am not able to stitch 3-4 nights a week means I’m not seeing as much progress as I want to, and this is the easiest to drop.
I’m keeping up with Stitch From Stash.One more day (at least in the NZ month!) & I’ll check in there. I know it’s month one of six but it’s a good feeling to have this achieved.
I completed a piece for the Magazine SAL so that’s one of twelve. I need to get over my nervousness in finishing so that I have more than simple plastic canvas ornaments on my tree! The bonus is that these also fit perfectly into Heather’s Smalls SAL.
The biggest commitment is the round robin. Jacqui’s designer is Passione Ricamo; not at all on my list so I am finding it tough going. However I can see how amazing it will be and I will be pleased to have been a part of it.
This is about six nights worth of work. I am stitching to lots of UK comedy. All I can say is that I’m glad I use a blunt needle and a working copy/highlighter!
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
WIPocalypse is hosted by Mel at her blog http://measi.net/measiblog/ 2016 was the sixth year of the SAL, and my second year participating; let’s go for a trilogy.
January first is all about setting goals for the year, so that in early December I can go “oh crap!” LOL This year I intend to be multi-platform again, with the daily focus being on Instagram but at least the WIP Wednesday, Smalls and WIPocalypse posts here on the blog, and a monthly Flosstube. I have weekly rotation plans written in my diary to take me thru to the end of March & I will review then.
The rotation plans are loosely worked around the following:
- StitchMaynia’s monthly SAL e.g. Feb is “fandom” (I am thinking Cloudsfactory Labyrinth), March is Teresa Wentzler (Tapestry Cat). December/January has the 12 Days of Christmas, starting on Christmas day and finishing on the 6th – I will be taking my Hands On Design Christmas Chalk away with me. Mostly because I paid for the fabric (32ct!!) and I need to use it, so if it’s all I have with me I should see some progress.
- StitchMaynia’s colour SAL (this is only on the 15th of each month).
- The Never Ending Band Sampler (as my learning piece of the month).
- The Magazine SAL (as hosted by Heather; click the image to the right for more info). This piece will double as my Smalls (click on that image for more info) post as I intend to use the JCS Christmas magazines all year, especially now that I have the CD with the past issues!
- The Round Robin piece, whatever it is and whenever it arrives.
- Focus on a Finish – whatever needs completing from the above or a current WIP that is nearly there. Mermaids of the Deep will be high on that list.
I am not going to start a New Year New Mira – mostly because I am away from home and I really do have enough started. Going into 2017, I have the following starts (listed in age!!):
- TW Tapestry Cat (Dec 2006!)
- Semco Toy Story Sampler (October 2013)
- Nora Corbett Arezzo (March 2014)
- Mirabilia Persephone (May 2015)
- Nora Corbett Blitzen (as part of my reindeer parade, Rudolph started in July 2015)
- Mirabilia Mermaids of the Deep Blue (December 2015)
- Mirabilia Raven Queen (January 2016)
- Tamara Blackwork (September 2016)
- Never Ending Band Sampler
- Lavender & Lace Celtic Winter (December 2016)
Ten’s not so bad, really!
Whoa. It’s December already! And I have just these two days left at work for all of 2016. I’ve taken a loooong break this year so won’t be back until Jan 9th. And – gasp! – I have some cover. Amazed.
WIPocalypse is hosted by Mel at her blog http://measi.net/measiblog/ 2016 was the fifth year of the SAL, and my second year participating.
Anyway, let’s get into the recap. In January, I had a few plans/goals.
- Keep a separate portion of my diary for stitching goals AND keeping my WIP blog page updated with pics as I rotate. MOSTLY ACHIEVED – I was much better about recording than I was in 2015.
- Mirabilia Mermaids of the Deep. NEARLY COMPLETED – well, the stitching anyway. I had hoped to complete that in 2016 but there’s about 30-35 hours left, and it’s not going on holiday with me.
- Mirabilia Raven Queen. WORKED ON.
- Nora Corbett Cherub with Tree. FINISHED.
- Mirabilia Roses of Provence. DITCHED & FROGGED. I have a different fabric, so planning this for after I finish Persephone. Two Mira skirts would be one too many.
- Nora Corbett Blitzen. WORKED ON
- Mirabilia Persephone. BLITZED GOALS – currently in the middle of stitching the skirt. So far all conversions are working out.
- Nora Corbett Arezzo. DID NOT STITCH
- Semco Toy Story sampler. DID NOT STITCH.
- Teresa Wentzler Tapestry Cat. MINIMAL STITCH TIME.
I also completed a lot of smalls!
- Jan – Chinese year of the Monkey
- Feb – Nora Lily of the Valley RR, Noel mini sampler, Lizzie*Kate Up in the Treetops
- Mar – nil
- April – Hands On Design Plenty
- May – Spring biscornu portion
- June – Mill Hill fireflies kit, Pickle Barrel Noel, Cross Stitcher bunny kit
- July – Mill Hill Holly kit x2, Mill Hill Berry kit x2
- August – nil
- Sept – Mill Hill Saxony Santa kit
- Oct – Mill Hill Lapis kit x2, Mill Hill Merry Christmas Santa
- Nov – Nora Petal Fairy RR
- Dec – Plastic canvas trees
I also got a few “medium” finishes in. Country Cottage’s Afternoon in London, Cloudsfactory’s A Team and Emma Congdon/Stitchrovia Wise Words Tolkien quote.
For all the missed WIPs in the first section, I feel like I achieved a lot.
WIPocalypse is a monthly check-in hosted by Mel over at Measi.net – come join in!
I missed that moon last week. I ended up with the first migraine in months that took me out for 2 days; there was a massive earthquake that has shook up (ha, no pun intended) and made me realise that our house needs an emergency kit (fully related, the replenishment of ready meals in one of our chains has never been higher!) and sport took up three evenings and the full day on Saturday. On the plus side, I got paid for Saturday (totally unexpected!) and that money is going towards the JCS Christmas Ornie DVD – which will cost me $36USD to get shipped from 123Stitch or in NZD, $51.39. Eeep.
And as for the finish – it’s been a bit of a slog with this one, tbh (no fault of Andie’s!!) but as the fabric is so huge, and it belongs to someone else, I didn’t feel that I could bring it to work & keep it as clean as I needed too. Also not having scroll rods big enough meant that I had to stitch in hand, so had to make sure no food met my T before I sat down to stitch each time.
I played thread chicken again with the Kreinik. I firmly believe that if I hadn’t brought TWO rolls, I would have run out of the first and had to go back to Ribbon Rose in a mad dash. As it was, there is probably no more than 40cm left on the spool.
So here she is…Nora Corbett’s Petal Fairy. No thread conversions, no beads. I think I’ll eventually buy this chart for myself. She’s very pretty and delicate.
I am totally counting her as my Smalls finish of the month too.
Topic: What pattern (or designer) is on your must-try-to-stitch bucket list? I’m finding that as 2017 draws near, and so many of the people I follow have well thought out plans, mine are disappearing. I am fearing that I am losing my stitchy bug 😦 I have plenty to do, don’t get me wrong – but I am lacking the quiet time to get things done. I do have a few Erin Condon/Stitchrovia designs that I want to do – something about script is enticing me.